[sclug] PCI Wireless adaptors for SUSE 9.0 and kernel updates

Major Stuart stuartmajor at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 01:42:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

Does anyone know of a wireless PCI card that will run
under Suse 9.0?  I have a Linksys WMP54G but it has no
driver for it so I'm reluctant to open the box.  I
have tried to install drivers for Win stuff before
(most notably PCI modems) and have not had much
success!  Any thoughts?

I have done some research and apparently the D-LINK
DWL G-520 will work straight out of the box with SUSE
9.2.  Is it difficult to upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2?

Alternatively I have read that Linuxant have Wlan
driver for the Linksys but I am running kernel
2.4.21-183-athlon and it suggests I upgrade my kernel
to 2.4.21-243 or 2.4.21-251 in order to use a specific
driver as listed on
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-suse-x86.php?PHPSESSID=9991a1cdb0728d16811277201c8b8182
Is this any easier to do ?

Any thoughts on which way to go?