[sclug] Gave up on Gentoo

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sun Nov 28 11:18:47 UTC 2004

I admit it, I'm a wimp. I have no bottle.  Having read here (and
elswhere) of others' experiences installing and maintaining Gentoo, I
decided to give it a miss. Too sloooow. There is, after all, a life out
there for those who look (I'm told) ;-)

Then I came across Ubuntu, on a cover CD. Debian appeals (don't ask me
why, it just does) so I thought I'd give it a try. Installed easily
enough (even worked with my sound-card, out of the box, although I can't
yet get it to print to the detected printer).

Any Debian users out there who could give me some hand-holding to wean
me off the Mandrake/Red Hat approach and into the Debian way of doing
things? Particularly how to find and install/configure new applications.

How do sclug users rate Debain distro's?

Neil Haughton