[sclug] Embedded Debian

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Nov 29 01:25:39 UTC 2004

Since there seem to be a lot of Debian experts currently reading the list...

I have a shiny new Shuttle PC sitting under my TV. It's going to be a media
box, using custom-written software (gstreamer is *very cool*).

I would like it to boot off a CD, because I want to approach the thing from
the appliance point of view rather than the Unix server point of view. The
idea is I stick the disk in the drive, boot it, it picks up a couple of
settings off the hard disk, autodetects everything else, and goes. Because
this is running on a limited selection of hardware, this is actually pretty
easy. The hardest part appears to be persuading isolinux to behave.

However:

I need to find a good way of generating minimalist liveCDs. I'm developing my
media package on Debian, and it uses gstreamer, GTK2, ruby, X, and a whole
bunch of complex dependencies. Rebuilding everything manually every time
something changes will be a nightmare; surely I should be able to use Debian
packages for everything, so it'll get the dependencies right for me.

The naive approach is to use debootstrap. Which, indeed, works fine, but is
far too heavyweight. I don't *need* exim on my box. I don't need bash, even.
In fact, the vast bulk of the stuff debootstrap installs is completely
irrelevant. I don't need the Debian package management system, I don't need
/usr/share/doc, in fact most of /var is useless. I can't seem to find a way of
persuading debootstrap to use local .deb files, either; it always insists on
downloading new copies into the target filesystem, and I don't need that either.

Does anyone know how I can put together a *really minimal* system --- we're
talking ash & busybox minimal --- from a set of Debian packages? Is there a
list somewhere of the absolute minimal subset of Debian packages you need to
get a system that runs?

--
[insert interesting .sig here]