[sclug] Re: [dev-crypto] SMIME Opinions

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Mon Nov 29 15:55:43 UTC 2004

> > Our company is planning on implementing an SMIME service.
> The service
> > will allow individuals and organizations within the company to sign
> > and encrypt outbound documents/emails.
> >
> > The certificates for partners will be stored, with other
> info, in an
> > LDAP directory. The LDAP directory also has an entry for every
> > organization and person in our company.
>
> I'd have concerns about privacy and applicable data
> protection laws (if any), but assuming you've worked all that
> out, this sounds like a good idea.

Surely no more than details kept in /etc/passwd, or Microsoft's Active
Directory.

> > The current directive is that all private/public keypairs for
> > individuals and organizations within our company will be stored  in
> > the LDAP directory.
>
> This sounds like a really bad idea. I'm not an LDAP expert,
> but isn't the idea of LDAP to provide *access* to data?
> Whereas the whole point of private keys is that they should
> be kept private, ie. secret?

To an extent. Generally (openLDAP) you can bind as an anonymous user and
view *most* branches & trees (does that make a uid a leaf?). Bind as a
particular user, and you'll have access to your password. The Admin CN will
have access to everything.

> There is always a tradeoff between keeping a secret secret,
> and keeping it safe: a secret that nobody knows is very
> secret, but not much use, whereas a secret that lots of
> people know is unlikely to be lost, but isn't much of a
> secret either. IMHO this proposal is not a good answer to
> this dilemma.
>
> If I had to come up with a counter-proposal, I'd keep the
> certs on the LDAP server, but keep the private keys on the
> users' personal workstations, with a suitable offline backup
> regime to ensure against loss of the private keys. Something
> like putting each key onto eg. a writable CD and putting all
> the CDs into a safe ought to do it.

One of the base LDAP schemas has the relevant bumph for storing x509
certificates in. http://devel.linvision.com/doc/lih/v0.4/certificates.html

Probably not best to store the private keys in though.

believed to be clean.