[sclug] Recommendations

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 17:54:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Hamlesh Motah wrote:

> Anyone have any recommendations on an easy to use firewall distro, need
> to do some advanced routing with it (two internet connections, with
> specific traffic piping).  Considering smoothwall at present.

I favour Astaro, but perhaps ease of use isn't it's strong point. OTOH, for
the variety of features it offers, it's very easy to configure. I'm also
pretty happy with the way it's architected and that it (mostly) doesn't
limit netfilter's facilities with its web UI (unlike, say, Smoothwall, which
the last time I looked, wouldn't let you configure egress filtering).

It's free for home use, but you need to pay for commercial use.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?