[sclug] Microsoft recruiting in Reading Uni

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Tue Oct 26 14:30:26 UTC 2004

> - Perhaps most importantly, one of the major barriers to more
> widespread Open Source and Linux adoption is the perception (note -
> **perception**) that it's still the plaything of hackers with
> limited social skills and no conception of the "real" world
> of business.  This sort of thing plays into the hands of
> anyone wishing to reinforce that perception.  I'm not
> suggesting that it would happen, but just imagine if you or
> someone else did go along to barrack the event, and M$'s PR
> department got hold of the news..

Certainly.

One of the biggest issues that linux advocacy has is people putting down the
opposition.

And as a tool for the masses, windows has done more than linux.

And as said above - people assume that linux is not actually used in the
real world (but we know it lives on most web/dns/email servers, and a large
proportion of business servers).

The TLDP has a paper about linux advocacy [1]. Its worth reading.

Chris

[1]
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Advoca
cy.html