[sclug] Raiding partitions

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 17:50:55 UTC 2005

Matt wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 13:47, Neil Haughton wrote:
> Alternatively, you can do your own pretend mirroring under Linux using a
> cron-driven script to use something like rsync to periodically copy the
> data, using a frequency of your own choosing. Downsides are running this
> too frequently will create extra load on your machine, and too long a
> period and you have the potential to lose data.

If the aim is to ease the pain of recovery after the occasional disk
crash rather than acheive 24/7 availability then automated backup to
another filesystem would seem satisfactory. If you add automatic
archiving to the backup system and from that to tape/dvd then you have
the advantage of being able to recover from certain instances of finger
trouble and other nasties that raid doesn't do for you.

Sadly my homebrew system for doing this is still lacking a few Tuits,
and I don't know of any such systems available Out There (tm)

--
John Stumbles