[sclug] Bulldog Broadband

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Mon Apr 11 11:48:03 UTC 2005

And for the list, rather than just Chris.. (grrr.)

On Mon, April 11, 2005 12:31, Chris Aitken said:

> Who are you with, what speed do you currently have?
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

I currently use ZetNet (www.zetnet.com).  Their service has been excellent
generally, although support can be a bit annoying at times (office hours
only).  They're pretty linux friendly although it's not an officially
supported setup.

The one issue I have with them is that they filter email to my SMTP server and
you can't opt out.  I get a lot of mails from lists saying messages to me have
bounced (ZetNet never inform you that they've bounced a mail on your behalf).
In fact, they would open port 25 to my router which is blocked by default and
I could set my box as the primary MX but I lose the security of being able to
firewall off everyone except ZetNet's mail servers.  They would also
categorically pull all support on mail issues if I requested this (even if I
use them as a backup MX which I'd have to!)

Speed is 512K - the max available when I had the line converted.  BullDog are
saying max on my number is 2Mb now, so I assume the exchange has been upgraded
again since I got ADSL.

Cheers,

--
Darren Davison