[sclug] Redhat 9 Server Recovery -HELP

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 11:07:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Navneet Choudhary wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I am running redhat linux  9(Kernel 2.4.20-8)  server on Intel P4 system,with Western Digital ATA 40GB Hard Disk(WD400EB-00CPF0, ATA DISK).
> This server is acting as Firewall & Gateway.Running squid & vsftp for local users.
> When i power on my system this morning , it shows below message (andas per message i run "fsck /dev/hda" without any argument/switch.
> For your information i have added "fdisk -l" & "df -h" (All outputprior to system CRASH).
>

> Checking root filesystem/============================= 49%/:Inodes that were part of  a corrupted orphan linked list found.
> /:UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY                        (i.e without ?a or ?p options)
>                                                                                        [FAILED]*** An error occurred during the file system check.*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot*** when you leave the shellGive root password for maintenance(or type Control-D to continue):
> (Repair filesystem)1# fsck /dev/hdafsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks?Fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hadThe superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock iscorrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternatesuperblock:     e2fsck ?b 8193 <device>

Try

 	fsck -y /dev/hda_

where _ is the partition number that failed to fsck (i.e. wherever your root
filesystem is, according to /etc/fstab).

If that doesn't work, you'll probably want to upgrade e2fsprogs, somehow.

DON'T run fsck on a raw disc device (e.g. /dev/hda) again. That's incorrect
usage and likely to trash everything on your disc.

> Regards,Navneet Choudhary

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?