[sclug] Exporting a terminal over the network

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 10:35:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 iso at isorox.co.uk wrote:

> We have a computer running vxWorks that you can talk to via a serial port.
> Naturally I plugged it in to my nice shiny new debian box and did a "cat
> /dev/ttyR0" (Rocket multi-port card). That wasn't very pretty.
>
> So I investigated a little more and downloaded kermit. A few settings later
> (set line /dev/ttyR0
> SET CARRIER-WATCH OFF
> set flow xon/xoff
> set speed 19200)
>
> and I could connect. Hurray!
>
> Additionally I found a program called "socat", which would allow me to
> export a tty over the network as a telnet session. I could put ttyR0-47 on
> telnet ports 3000-30047 and the world would be heppy. Trouble is socat
> doesnt support all that xon/xoff loveliness I need.
>
> Ultimatly I want something that will give two-way communication to this
> device via a telnet port, and simultaneously log all the output both ways.

Not sure about the logging, but how about telneting (or better, sshing) in
and running minicom? You might even be able to set it as a special user's
default shell in /etc/passwd.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?