[sclug] Exporting a terminal over the network

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun Feb 6 13:18:24 UTC 2005

Roland Turner (SCLUG) wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>

>>Additionally I found a program called "socat", which would allow me to
>>export a tty over the network as a telnet session. I could put ttyR0-47
>>on telnet ports 3000-30047 and the world would be heppy. Trouble is
>>socat doesnt support all that xon/xoff loveliness I need.
>

> Are you certain? The man page claims a complete set of TERMIOS options
> including xon and xoff (which, despite the ridiculous names, relate to
> inward and outward flow control characters respectively).

IIRC (long time since I plumbed layer 0 :)) Xoff & Xon (sometimes
generated from the keyboard by ^S and ^Q) tell the other end of the link
to stop & restart (respectively) transmission. Inward & outward flow
control is acheived by sending Xoff & Xon chars in each direction: the
characters used are the same in each direction. (You could also have
Xoff/Xon aka software flow control in one direction and hardware, or no,
flow control in the other: the two directions of data flow are
effectively independent channels.)

--
John Stumbles                                      mobile 0780 866 8204
plumbing:heating:electrical:property maintenance     home 0118 954 2406