[sclug] Exporting a terminal over the network

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Mon Feb 7 10:11:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 iso at isorox.co.uk wrote:

> Ultimatly I want something that will give two-way communication to this
> device via a telnet port, and simultaneously log all the output both
> ways.

I've used termpkg as a kind of reverse terminal server; it provides a port
you can telnet to and gain access to a local device.  I've used it to
provide telnet access to the serial console of Cisco routers.

There was a feature it was missing which I think was some sort of
protection (e.g. password or limiting IP addresses).

I guess if you wanted to secure it, you could SSH with some port forwards.

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK