[sclug] How to start a LUG?

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Thu Feb 10 12:01:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 at 06:06:32 +0000, Alan Cocks wrote:
> While staying a member of SCLUG, I would like to try to start a LUG in
> Bracknell. With the college being there it should support a group, if
> small. And I think the recent distros will become more popular and
> attract more use.

You could just start up another venue for SCLUG. In fact, I did mention
SCLUG to some people at Bracknell & Wokingham College when I was doing
some training course there a couple of years ago. I'm not sure of the
best way to publicize new meeting locations in such a way as to attract
new members; I think we've so far relied on people finding us via
lug.org.uk and Linux magazine listings.

The optimum LUG size question is an interesting one, though. We're the
'Silicon Corridor LUG', which I've always taken to be Berkshire plus
anyone else who feels like turning up. But I don't recall hearing from
anyone in Hungerford, Newbury, or Slough, for instance, and I think all
the meetings so far have been in Reading.

S.