[sclug] Linux to linux file sharing

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Tue Feb 15 10:06:18 UTC 2005

Drew McLellan wrote:
> James Fidell wrote:
>
>> Quoting Drew McLellan (lists at allinthehead.com):
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the way NFS handles permissions leaves a lot to be
>>> desired. Basically it would seem ignore groups and file ownership,
>>> and rely totally on file permissions. I'm not really keen on making
>>> all the files world writable.
>>
>> I'm not sure the above paragraph actually makes sense, but it looks like
>> you're doing it wrong.  NFS fully implements user/group/world file
>> access rights, modulo any modification made via mount/export options.
>>
>> I suggest you post examples of your configuration and explain what
>> doesn't
>> work.
>
> On the server I have an export which looks like this:
>
> /home/files      (insecure,rw)
>
> Obviously I've not got as far as nailing this down to a specific IP
> address or range yet. Keeping it simple for troubleshooting.
>
> Everything under /home/files belongs to the group 'company' (1001) and
> is owned by my user (1000).
>
> On the workstation, I have a user with the same name and id (1000),
> ditto with the group. I can successfully mount the export:
>
> mount server:/home/files /mnt/files
>
> I can read the files in the export, but not modify. I believe it
> *should* work because:
>
> a) the user has the same ID on the client and the server
> b) if I ssh into the server as that user, I can modify
>
> But obviously I'm missing a trick.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

Sorry to follow up on my own post, but I thought it was worth explaining
the solution I found.

In Debian Sarge, there are two different NFS server packages:

nfs-user-server
nfs-kernel-server

Apparently the user-server is more fully featured, but slower. The
kernel-server is, as you'd expect, a faster a kernel extension.

In reality, the kernel-server is the one which functions, and the
user-server is the one which would appear to be totally broken.

I removed user-server, installed kernel-server and It Just Worked.

Thanks all for the various bits of input. Much appreciated.

drew.