[sclug] Hands on days

Alan Pearson alandpearson at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 13:48:57 UTC 2005

All,

I work for a rather large Telco Vendor in the Video Server area. (No
it's not Three !)
We have a large base in Maidenhead not far from the train station.

I have asked the VP of our division if it would be possible to use the
facilities here once per month for hands on days.
Surprisingly he agreed. I've still some details to sort out, but it is
looking good.

Initially we have a room that can hold 20 - 25 people and access to
some equipment like projectors, TVs and probably one PC allowing
Internet Access. Connecting to the company LAN will not be allowed, but
I have access to all facilities to create our own LAN, and probably a
server.
We also have a lot of equipment like monitors, power blocks, LAN cables
and all the normal stuff you would need for such a day.

The exact location of our place if 1/2 mile from train station, up
Shoppenhangers road beside A404 turnoff.

As the answers from the survey have seen the max YES votes for
Maidenhead, this seems like a good offer.

We'd need to use it responsibly and for real things (i.e. not LAN Game
parties !).

What is the general feeling on this ?
Also what ideas do folks have that we could do ?

Ideally the company would also like to get something out of it, I'm not
sure what. Maybe we could acknowledge them some way or other ? The VP
seemed to think access to the brightest minds would be a good perk.....
  me... I'm not so sure after seeing some posts on this list :-)))

Anyway feedback appreciated.

AlanP