[sclug] LVM & 2Tb limit

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 18:39:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Alan Pearson wrote:

> This is really confusing.
> I've been speaking to Veritas (separate project) who also say they suffer
> from the 2Tb limitation, but it will be addressed in their release for RHEL
> 4.0 but ONLY on 64 bit systems.
>
> So, Q2. Is 2.6 able to address > 2Tb on 32 bit (I.E. Intel Xeon) systems ??

a) Xeons with the new EM64T instructions are 64 bit platforms. Xeons without
are 32 bit.

b) The link below says the max filesystem size is "16TB if you trust the
sign bit, 8TB if you don't."

<https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-beta-list/2004-October/msg00004.html>

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?