[sclug] Leave a process running after logging out?

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Wed Feb 16 11:55:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 20:39:02 +0000, Simon Heywood wrote:
: On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 at 18:39:20 +0000, Sapan Ganguly wrote:
: > I am forever starting commands in a bash shell that take longer than I
: > expect, is there a way to background or pause a task that is already
: > in the foreground AND log off and go home (but still see the results
: > when I log on again in the morning)?  Sometimes I forget to use things
: > like 'screen', 'nohup' etc.  If I use Ctrl-Z the process is still
: > killed when I log off.

: I'm fairly sure that if you forget to run screen, you're stuffed.
: Whenever I login to some remote machine I run 'screen -RD' just in case.

Try screen -x; it's more fun...

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.