[sclug] Grub bootloader issue

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Fri Feb 18 18:31:49 UTC 2005

Hi people,

re my Grub issue,

>>/boot/grub/menu.lst
>>
>>or
>>
>>/boot/grub/grub.conf

Nothing like those anywhere.

Actually my 'normal' distro is Mandrake, which uses lilo. On a spare
partition I installed DeMuDi (I think that means Definitive Music
Distro), a debian based music-studio distro, and that placed the present
Grub bootloader over my old Lilo. It works okay, but curiously I can't
find any grub config stuff on the DeMuDi side of things  - not a
sausage.  I presume if boot into Mandrake, log in as root and then mount
the Demundi filesystem (ie mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/demundi) I will have
root permissions for any files in the DeMuDi filesystem? (In other
words, root is root is root across distros?)  If so, I can see hordes of
files but nothing grub-like at all.

I suppose I could always restore the Mandrake Lilo bootlooader, but I'd
like to get to the bottom of this, if anyone can help.

Neil.