[sclug] Laptop

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Thu Feb 24 10:36:11 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 Feb 2005 10:23, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > There isn't, as far as I know, a make of laptop that is
> > always really good with Linux. It comes down to individual
> > models, which is why we'd need to know the above.
>
> On the whole, IBM Thinkpad's are always *almost really* good with Linux.
> You even used to be able to buy them with linux preinstalled.
>
> I got a T22 (900 MHz, 256 Mb) for about ?400 a year ago.

The T22 is a good model for Linux, as is the X40. The R40e which I have, on
the other hand, isn't so good. ACPI only half works (no suspend, and it
blocks the special function keys like volume) and the modem is a pain to get
working.

I'd say the same stands for most makes. It's best to check every model.

Regards,
Tom