[sclug] Accelerated graphics on 64 bit linux ?

Martin Summers Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Fri Feb 25 14:19:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this little problem......

 I have been trying to get the accelerated graphics working on a Dual-Xeon EMT 64, with nvidia Quadro 1300 graphics working with either 64 bit SuSE 9.1 or 64 bit Redhat WS 3 update 4.
I have tried 4 different versions of the nvidia x86_64 driver with various SuSE 9.1 kernels (nvidia driver versions 1.0-5332, 1.0-6106, 1.0-6111, 1.0-6629 ). I have only tried Redhat WS 3 update 4, 64 bit default kernel so far. I have managed to get either to work: The SuSE 9.1 will just lock the X server when I start it up (using startx, while on Redhat 3 update 4, 64 bit, the nvidia driver loads, but if any OpenGL is used, it locks the entire machine (no networking or anything - complete system lock - nothing in the X logs or /var/log/messages)
Now, I can get SUSE 9.1 64 bit working with AGP nvidia graphics cards after getting the driver to 6111 and upgrading the kernel, (Redhat WS 3 update 4, 64 bit pending testing on AGP ). However, this combination on the Xeon EMT 64 machine with PCI express just doesn't work - at least on the test machine I am using.
One thing worth pointing out here is that the hardware all seems to work fine with Windows XP 64 bit beta and the nvidia graphics driver, so I think the hardware is probably OK.

I guess what I need to know is : Does any have a Xeon EMT64 with PCI express working with graphics on a 64 bit version of Linux ? If so, can you let me know the Linux version, Kernel version , version of X server and versions of the graphics driver you are using ?

Many thanks in advance !

regards,

Martin Summers