[sclug] Accelerated graphics on 64 bit linux ?

Martin Summers Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Fri Feb 25 15:54:08 UTC 2005

Heya Martin -

(MS) - Hello Alex!

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Martin Summers wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this little problem......
>
> I have been trying to get the accelerated graphics working on a Dual-Xeon
> EMT 64, with nvidia Quadro 1300 graphics working with either 64 bit SuSE
> 9.1 or 64 bit Redhat WS 3 update 4. I have tried 4 different versions of
> the nvidia x86_64 driver with various SuSE 9.1 kernels (nvidia driver
> versions 1.0-5332, 1.0-6106, 1.0-6111, 1.0-6629 ). I have only tried
> Redhat WS 3 update 4, 64 bit default kernel so far.

You might well want the unofficial patches from
<http://www.minion.de/files/1.0-6629/> or
<http://www.minion.de/files/1.0-6111/> respectively. Apply all of them to
the nVidia kernel driver source tree, in alphanumerical order.

(MS) - Sounds good: In fact, all of the stuff above and below give me something to try, so I can at least see if I can get it all working.
The only snag is, the box I am building is intended as a test platform, and customers are going to need to duplicate the setup. I am wary of doing too many mods from a "out of the tin" Linux distribution or else our tech support people end up talking customers through kernel compiles and stuff that isn't really their area of expertise (if you get my drift ?)

If that doesn't work, you may also need to patch your kernel with
<http://brcha.objectis.net/Projects/Kernel/nvidia-brcha.diff>. I realise
this will trash any hope you have of getting support. :-(

(MS) <nod> OK. We have some "official" support routes I can go through too, so I'll see if these turn up with anything handy. If so, I'll feed it back ;-)

-Martin

Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?