[sclug] Postfix authenticating for SMTP relay

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Fri Feb 25 22:11:56 UTC 2005

For those with long memories, I was facing the task of setting up a
Debian sarge box as a mail server for POP3. Well, after various delays
for unrelated reasons, it all kicked off this week and I now have an
operational mail server using Postfix! Hurrah!

Thanks to those on this list who offered excellent advice.

.. but I need some more ;)

Postfix appears to be totally locked down in terms of SMTP relay, which
is of course the way it should be. I'd like to:

a) open up relay for users who can authenticate successfully

b) do the above over SSL, to help guard the passwords.

As I say I'm using Postfix on Sarge, with Dovecot set to do POP3 over SSL.

Any pointers as to where I should look?

drew.