[sclug] Connecting my Linux box to web via wireless

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Wed Jan 5 17:47:01 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 Jan 2005 17:33, Major Stuart wrote:
> A few questions!  I have a Linux box running SUSE 9.0.
> It is connected via ethernet to an wireless ethernet
> bridge.
> This is in turn is communicating with an wireless ADSL
> gateway.
> I know the IP addresses for all the devices.
>
> I am trying to connect to the internet using the ADSL
> gateway.
>
> I know the IP address, username and password for my
> internet provider.  They have also given me the
> primary and secondary DNS addresses.

First, you don't want to use KInternet, that's just a tool for dialup.

Now, if you're connected to your bridge, and that's connected to the gateway,
you just need to tell SuSE the IP address of the gateway and you should be
away.

So first check you can see the gateway by pinging it three times:
$ ping -c 3 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Then launch YaST, SuSE's configuration tool, go to the networking section, and
set it up so that your network card is the only thing there and it has the
gateway set-up.

That should be all you need to do :)

Regards,
Tom