[sclug] Recommendations for mail server

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Thu Jan 13 20:52:07 UTC 2005

Hi everyone - I've been lurking on this list for a couple of months, so
time to introduce myself and ask some advice too.

My name's Drew, and I work for an agency doing web application
development, just off Silver Street in Reading. I do mainly LAMP-based
stuff and run around 5 linux boxen in an otherwise 'doze environment.

<waves />

I need some recommendations for a simple mail server set up. I have to
admit to being totally uninformed when it comes to mail - it's not
something I've done before.

I've got a box running Debian Sarge as a dedicated web server off in a
datacentre somewhere. The box currently has exim installed. I need to
configure a basic mail setup so a small handful of people can use POP3.

Requirements:

a) POP3 boxes
b) SMTP relay w/ authorisation

and ideally:

c) web interface for account maintenance (webmin's ok)
d) work with a standard webmail tool like squirrelmail.

I guess the main problem I have is understanding which tool does what. I
guess an MTA like exim will route mail in and out of the box, but does
that leave me needing something else to handle the accounts? Or do I
create system accounts? What about POP3? and all those sorts of dumb
questions.

Any advice / recommendations thankfully received.

(and nice to meet you all!)

drew.