[sclug] Newbie, partitioning 120Gb HDD - recommendations?

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Mon Jan 17 19:54:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 19:32:13 +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
: On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:34:36 -0000 (GMT)
: "David Newcomb" <david.newcomb at bigsoft.co.uk> wrote:

: > Swap size should be 2 or 3 times the size of phyical memory.

: This is a myth. Swap size should be such that the total memory you ever
: need is less than physical memory plus swap space. What the above advice
: translates to is: if you have 1Gb of memory then you need 2-3 Gb of swap
: space. If you have a memory module go bad and reduce the RAM to 512Mb, then
: you only need 1-1.5Gb swap.

Well, yes and no.  It's always been little more than a guideline.  Stick a
reasonably-sized swap partition and don't worry too much about it.

: When the "2 x RAM" advice first appeared, memory was extortionately
: expensive. My advice, if you want to get the "right" amount of swap space,
: is to start with either 512Mb or 1Gb of swap space, depending upon your
: available disk space, and monitor its usage. Then tune it accordingly.

Personally, I tend to set aside a GB or two for swap simply because
partitions smaller than that are a bit of a waste of time.  The rest I
stick as /, possibly with a couple of hundred MB for a /boot on older
machines.

TBH, if you've hit swap in any great amount, you need more memory.  End of
discussion, really: disc is several orders of magnitude slower than
memory, so performance drops through the floor.  You therefore need to
install more memory if you hit swap more than trivially.

I also agree with someone at sun.com (I forget who; it's quite irritating)
about disc partitioning: don't bother.  One big / slice is easier to
manage, and isn't much of a problem if you're careful.

We run all our infrastructure (500+ machines) like this.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.