[sclug] Newbie, partitioning 120Gb HDD - recommendations?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jan 18 15:40:40 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 15:07, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure about this idea that it's faster to put things near the
> centre or the perimeter.  If the track at the centre has the same number
> of sectors as the track at the outside then the packing density is
> greater in the centre  *BUT* it takes the same time for the outer
> sectors to pass under the head as it does for the inner sectors.  Both
> the inner and outer parts of the disk are doing the same RPM therefore
> you get the same Sectors per Revolution  Since all sectors on the disk
> are the same size you get the same Bytes per Revolution.

davek asked me to forward on the following interesting link (which he is
unable to post himself from his work account because the email server spews
up a nasty boilerplate disclaimer on the bottom of all outgoing messages):

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci1019076,00.html

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+