[sclug] Newbie, partitioning 120Gb HDD - recommendations?

David Newcomb david.newcomb at bigsoft.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 10:15:23 UTC 2005

Alex Butcher said:
> Faster doing _what_ ?

At the time I was doing unix 'c' developement.
Editing, compiling, linking and normal day-to-day stuff in a
development environment.

Tom wrote:
> Are you sure?
> The superblock has lots of interesting stuff. But *not* inodes. Well not
> in System V filesystem or HFS.  (Sorry can't speak for other file
> systems.)

Ext2 & Ext3.
I'm afraid I can't comment on the way System V filesystem or HFS work.
But I see your points.

The two developers (of which I was one) who used the machine
both commented that it seemed to run smoother and slighly quicker.

We did not do benchmark tests, like copying 100MB files around,
we just used it doing real work for about a week.

Regards,
David