[sclug] Spamassasin / Procmail / Sendmail limiting problem

Hamlesh Motah admin at hamlesh.com
Thu Jan 20 00:14:04 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have recently setup a replacement local mail server.  The server runs
fetchmail, connects to an imap server, grabs new email, passes it
through spamassassin and delivers it locally.

The problem I am having is if the machine has 100 emails to fetch it
ends up highly loaded and becomes really unresponsive.  Checking top
shows multiple copies of sendmail, procmail and spamassassin running.
It's a little P2 ~300Mhz so you can imagine trying to run 30+ of the
above processes isn't fun for it :)

When I setup the last machine to fulfil this role there was a flag
somewhere in a config file that would allow a throttle to be placed on
spamassassin, so that it only spools x number of processes.  I have
searched high, low, and on G and cant for the life of me find it.

Am I imagining setting such a property the previous time?

A very bemused Hamlesh.