[sclug] Mail system explanation wanted please

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jul 5 20:26:46 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 19:41, Simon Huggins wrote:
[...]
> Get something to grab the mail from your ISP to your machine and put it
> in your IMAP server's mailstore (which will probably be a pile of
> Maildir folders) and then point all of your mail clients at the local
> IMAP server.  IMAP servers you might like to consider include dovecot,
> courier-imap.  I wouldn't touch uw-imapd with a bargepole.  I don't know
> much about cyrus.

Dovecot is the default Debian one; it's small, fast, reliable and dead easy to
set up (i.e., it's automatic). Plus, it stores its files in the traditional
IMAP mail store way, so that if the worst comes to the worst your mail is a
bunch of plain text files in ~/mail. Don't touch uw-imapd with a bargepole.

[...]
> But you should probably talk to someone who er, uses IMAP regularly :)

Hi there!

--
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm
Jim (evil)