[sclug] SUSE 9.3

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 15:11:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Tim wrote:

> I am attempting again to move whollu over to Linux. So far it has gone pretty
> well. After several attempts with SUSe9.3 I then tried Fedora 4 only to find
> that support of NTFS was non existent unless I compilied it into the kernel
> at least that is the impression that I got with my investigations.

You didn't look very hard! ;-)

Googling for 'fedora ntfs' finds <http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/>
as the first hit. It has installable RPMs to provide NTFS kernel modules.

This is exactly why I recommend that people don't switch from distro to
distro trying to find the 'perfect' one. Stick with what you've got
(assuming you have some people you can ask for help) and learn how to fix
its quirks. Switching from one distro to another will just swap one set of
quirks for another, and you'll learn nothing along the way.

> The problem I have is that while with Windows I can go to any web site I
> choose using the broadband connection I currently have, with the SUSE setup I
> seem to be limited to a few sites. Mozilla just reports a timeout on attempts
> to connect to Google, Yahoo, download.mozilla.org. And the YAST update tool
> also locks.
> Any ideas ? and does anyone know why this might be happening ?

I suspect you either you have Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) enabled
(set 'net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0' in /etc/sysctl.conf to disable), or your DNS server
isn't handling IPv6-style AAAA DNS queries (add 'alias net-pf-10 off' in
/etc/modprobe.conf' to disable). You could make do without a reboot after
these changes if I a) knew my way around SuSE's boot process b) I could care
to describe how, but it's probably easiest if you just reboot. Make backups
of the files before you modify them, in case you make a mistake.

> Tim

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?