[sclug] GNU/Linux CCTV ?

Mark Cooper sclug at mcooper.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 06:24:52 UTC 2005

John Stumbles wrote:

> Mark Cooper wrote:
>
>> Anyone setup CCTV type monitoring under Linux? I've been looking at
>> http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/91363/art/linksys/wvc54gwifi-webcam.html?srcid=867
>> as a way of capturing images but not looked at software to control it
>> yet.
>>
>> On a side note, anyone know the legal implications of CCTV monitoring
>> your own property. IE if you record people walking past the house,
>> people delivering mail etc.
>

>  From a current thread on uk.d-i-y
>

> Re: Road rage camera
> From: Bob Eager <rde42 at spamcop.net>
> Date: Monday 30 May 2005 20:04:14
> Groups: uk.d-i-y
>
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:04:55 UTC, "Steve Walker" <spam-trap at beeb.net>
> wrote:
>
>  > Bob Eager wrote:
>  > > On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:13:12 UTC, "Jason Judge"
>  > > <jason.judge.nospam at virgin.net> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >> I recently asked the police about this, and they say that there
>  > >> are no restrictions in public places. If mounted on your
>  > >> property, just ensure it does not overlook a school or someone
>  > >> else's property. On the road, I would guess it's free-for-all
>  > >> taping.
>  > >
>  > > If mounted on your property (for surveillance) it must be static
>  > > and not steerable...
>  >
>  > I'm surpised to hear that - under what law?
>
> Not sure of the law, but here's the guidance notes from the Information
> Commissioner. I had cause to look at these when I put in CCTV after a
> spate of vandalism.
>
> <http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?pg=SR&cID=5740>

Cheers, looks like home use comes under what they call "CCTV small user"?

There appears to be a number of rules, including not capturing images of
persons not visiting your premises, displaying signs to show cctv is in
effect on your premises, and notifying the Information Commissioner on
an annual basis.

--

Mark Cooper
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/ - Open Source PVR Hardware Database