[sclug] Compaq Proliant 800

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 00:43:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Hamlesh Motah wrote:

> I am trying to fit it with a second CPU, however it comes back with
> "Incompatible processor, halting" while posting.

> I have a matched pair (as far as I can tell) of cpus;
>
> 	Originally in the machine: P3 500Mhz with 512Kb Cache
>
> 	Pair I am trying to fit: 2 x P3 400Mhz with 1024Kb Cache
>
> I am suspecting it's the increase in cache that's upsetting it, any
> thoughts?

Do the steppings of the pair match also? Does the machine boot with /one/ of
the P3/400s fitted? Is the machine running the most recent version of the
BIOS?

> Hamlesh Motah.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?