[sclug] automount nfs filesystem

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Jun 2 19:10:32 UTC 2005

This should be basic Linux 101, but I'm getting 404 :-(

I've added a line to my /etc/fstab (at the end of the file) to attempt
to mount a filesystem from another machine set up as an nfs server:
/dev/hde8     /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 1
...(snip)...
# NFS
myserver:/home /home nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

When the system boots /home doesn't get mounted, but doing mount -a does
mount it.

man mount sayeth:

(i) The command
  mount -a [-t type] [-O optlist]
(usually given in a bootscript) causes all file systems mentioned in
fstab (of the proper type and/or having or not having the proper
options) to be mounted as indicated, except for those whose line
contains the noauto keyword. Adding the -F option will make mount fork,
so that the filesystems are mounted simultaneously.

 From this (and everything else I've read in the man pages* on fstab &
nfs) it looks as if it should work: it just doesn't.

I can't see anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/warn as it boots,
and in /var/log/boot.msg I get -

Starting RPC portmap daemondone
Starting resource managerdone
<notice>exit status of (splash_early resmgr portmap) is (0 0 0)
<notice>start services (nfsboot)
Starting nfsboot (sm-notify) done
<notice>exit status of (nfsboot) is (0)

  - which looks OK to my untutored eye.

/var/log/boot.omsg looks similar (what is this file - is it the old
boot.msg file?)

On the server I can see in /var/log/syslog -

Jun  1 18:45:05 localhost rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
susebox:847 for /home (/home)

- at a time which corresponds with me doing 'mount -a' from the console,
but nothing before that, suggesting to me that susebox is not trying to
mount rather than myserver rejecting an attempt.

Incidentally I'm booting to runlevel 3 in /etc/inittab,
id:3:initdefault:
but that shouldn't be relevant, should it?

No doubt it's a fundamental bug in the kernel rather than something
stupid I'm doing :-)

System is SuSE 9.1, 'myserver' is up and running all the time while the
suse machine is booting.

* BTW RTFM suggests that I should specify 8192 byte r&w sizes like
myserver:/home /home nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr 0 0

--
John Stumbles