[sclug] confused - wireless access

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Thu Jun 23 10:10:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, June 23, 2005 9:58, John Stumbles said:

> [1] You may need an Ethernet crossover cable if the hub doesn't have a
> port which can work either way round (or if that's already in use for
> your ADSL router) but at the Ethernet up to IP levels it should Just
> Work(tm).

thx.

> However, do all your home machines directly access the internet (i.e.
> you have multiple 'real' IP addresses) or, if not, how do you do your
> NAT?

NAT is done by the ADSL router too.  I'm still considering resurrecting an old
unused box I have as an IPCop machine and letting that do everything, but
until then I need to just plug the wifi AP into the hub.  Basically, as long
as it does exactly what a cable would do (connect the laptop to the hub) it
will work, but that's what I wasn't certain about.

Many thanks,

--
Darren Davison
Public Key: 0xDD356B0D