[sclug] dual Grub issue

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Tue Jun 28 18:10:32 UTC 2005

Can anyone advise me on a grub problem?

I have a dual boot machine. 1st OS was Mandriva 2005, which uses grub as
the bootlloader.
Then I installed Ubuntu (5), which installed its own grub and
autodetected the Mandriva installation. Fine so far, I could now boot
either OS.

Then for some reason that I do not understand, it appears that at some
point the original grub was somehow 're-instated', giving me the old
Mandriva boot menu without an Ubuntu entry. I proved this by viewing the
/boot/grub/menu.lst file in the appropriate Mandriva partition. This may
have occurred as a result of a Mandriva system update process, but I'm
not sure of that.

So I thought I'd be clever and copy the Ubuntu stanza from the
corresponding Ubuntu /boot/grub/menu.lst to the Mandriva one (as root).
That worked okay in the sense that I now have a  boot menu that has an
Ubuntu entry, but it doesn't boot Ubuntu (the syntax is noticably
differently from the other stanzas in the Mandriva file). The two
versions of grub must be different, I guess. I hacked about with it,
somewhat in the dark, but I can't get it to boot Ubuntu.

So I am left with wondering how I can easily 'reinstall' the Ubuntu
version of grub, as it was after I first installed Ubuntu itself.
Alternatively, what do I need to do with this stanza

title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386
root        (hd0,2)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386
savedefault
boot

to get it to work with my Mandriva grub, which has other stanzas like this:

title Mandriva Linux 2005
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8
splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,5)/initrd.img

The obvious hacking, eg

title  Ubuntu
kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash
initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386

didn't work. The output is

kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash
Error 15: file not found.

Any solutions, anyone?