[sclug] dual Grub issue

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Jun 28 19:45:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:45:06PM +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Neil Haughton wrote:
> >So I thought I'd be clever and copy the Ubuntu stanza from the
> >corresponding Ubuntu /boot/grub/menu.lst to the Mandriva one (as
> >root).  That worked okay in the sense that I now have a  boot menu
> >that has an Ubuntu entry, but it doesn't boot Ubuntu (the syntax is
> >noticably differently from the other stanzas in the Mandriva file).
> >The two versions of grub must be different, I guess. I hacked about
> >with it, somewhat in the dark, but I can't get it to boot Ubuntu.
> I'm pretty sure the only way you'll get this working reliably is to
> have a /boot partition that's *shared* by both Mandriva and Ubuntu.
> You'll also have to hope that they don't use the same filenames for
> stuff, or you'll need to maintain grub's config files manually.

Don't see why they have to be shared as grub (with the right config
file) should be able to cope.  It'll read the config file from one place
but the config should be able to point it wherever it wants I would have
thought.

I guess I would prod about at the commandline til you get it booting
i.e. boot and then work out what combination of root (hd0,blah) and
kernel (hd0,blah)/blah etc. you need for each with some educated
guesswork :)

Simon.

--
 -+//  "Ah! You'd like freshly *squeezed* orange juice." - Basil "As   \\+-
-+<<     against freshly unscrewed orange juice, yes" Fawlty Towers     >>+-