[sclug] Can't able to create user with DOTS?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Mar 1 17:37:44 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 17:16, James Beckett wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:38, Navneet wrote:
> >    I can't able to create users having decimal point(s) in their name.
> > i.e navneet.kc
> > Notice: decimal point between navneet & kc.
>
> That's right, you can't.
>
> You can, however, create email aliases with dots in, so that people can
> mail you at addresses like that - /etc/aliases is where these mappings
> generally live. e.g. if you local user is "navneet", add a line like

The typical convention is that usernames are as short as you can possibly make
them --- mine is dg. The reason for this is that they end up appearing in ls
lists and such like an awful lot, and have to be typed in an awful lot, and
making them short makes life a lot simpler.

Email address aliases are spelt out in full --- I'm david.given. At work we
tell customers that the 'real' email address is the long-form alias, rather
than the short-form account name, because they're clearer and more memorable.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Why should we put ourselves out of our way to
+- www.cowlark.com --+