[sclug] Amstrad Emailer charges

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Mar 10 12:22:33 UTC 2005

We were talking last night about the Emailer --- I found the list of
charges:

? Email - an email session on the Amstrad E3 costs 15* pence (plus local
call rate per minute). One session allows you to send multiple emails as
well as collect & receive all waiting email at the same time.
? Video calling - 50p* per call - plus the cost of the phone call.
? Surfing - 5p* per minute at ALL times.
? Photo send - 25p* per email with photo attachment.
? MMS - ?1.00* per message sent.
? SMS - 50p* per message sent.
? Games - Charges vary - view on screen prior to ordering.
? Polyphonic ringtones - ?1.50* per min and last approximately
  2 mins 40 seconds.
? FAX - ?1.00* per fax message sent.

Video calls use a nasty proprietry protocol and can only be made to
other emailers.

Basically, it looks all right for granny's email (one send/receive
session a day is about a pound a week), but you really don't want to
touch any of the other stuff.

Internally the Emailer Plus is an ARM7TDMI with 8MB flash, 64MB RAM,
USB, and a bunch of interesting looking devices. The videophone version,
however, is an ARM9 and runs Linux...

http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/emailer/

Given that the Emailer Plus, the E2, is about thirty quid and quite well
documented, it looks like it would make a great hack machine. Apparently
there are some people working on porting ucLinux to it.

--
David Given <dg at cowlark.com>