[sclug] IP address allocation, ISPs, and admin charges

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Sat Mar 12 08:51:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:54:00 +0000
Simon Heywood <simon at triv.org.uk> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, when I opened an ADSL account with Zen Internet,
> I requested a /3 block of IP addresses, rather than a single static
> address, ostensibly to connect multiple servers on the same ADSL line.

I suspect you mean "/30".

> Would you consider this charge to be legitimate, given that I'm not
> benefiting from the change?

Zen would certainly incur some administration cost, so I suppose it is
legitimate. There are many costs we all incur in life from which we do not
benefit but they still have to be paid! FWIW, changing from a single
address to two or to six (usable) from Eclipse costs nothing.

Keith