[sclug] Safe job hunting

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 14:21:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, James Packham wrote:

> Just a follow up to that suspicious email from last week - the one that
> wanted a scanned copy of my passport and NI card.
>
> Monster.co.uk have a "Smart job hunting" guide and the first rule is never
> give out your NI number.

I suspect that's just advice 'ported' from the US, where the Social Security
Number is more widely used as a unique identifier and so is valuable in
attempting identity theft. I could be wrong, but I don't think we use our NI
numbers quite as extensively as they do SSNs in the US, so their value to
identity fraudsters is reduced. OTOH, if our beloved leaders introduce ID
cards and a national ID register...

> ~James~

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?