[sclug] Embedded operating systems?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Mar 29 12:48:14 UTC 2005

I don't know if anyone remembers, but at the last meeting we were
talking about hacking the Amstrad e-mailer to do something useful.

Well, I know own an E2 e-mailer, have built the appropriate link cable,
and have got it to the stage of running my own code on it (in the
process trashing the existing firmware; no great loss, really).

I now face an interesting dilemma. What OS should I run on it?

The ARM7TDMI it's based around has no MMU, so Linux or one of the BSDs
is out of the question. I've had a look at eCos and RTEMS, and they seem
pretty grim. Minix is very small and quite capable but Minix 2.0 only
runs on a couple of platforms and it's got lousy hardware support.
ucLinux is... well, I don't actually know very much about it. Has anyone
actually tried it? Any comments?

Can anyone suggest anything else I should look at?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+