[sclug] External USB HDD

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Sun May 1 19:48:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

My first question is have you formatted the drive? The drive won't show up on
your desktop unless it's formatted. But once that's done, it ought to show up
without having to be mounted.  (I've got a similar piece of kit, and it was
supplied formatted, but I bought mine with the HD already installed; if you
bought the HD separately, I doubt it would be pre-formatted)

Hope that helps.  :-)

If that doesn't help, I'd need to know a bit more about what you've got...
What version of SuSE are you using? (You mentioned Yast, so I'm assuming
you've got SuSE, but it works differently between recent versions)

Also, what is the make/model of the external case?  (I've got a Maxtor branded
external HD/case, and I can confirm it works well with both SuSE 9.0 and 9.2)

All the best,

   Simon C.

--
http://www.BadPuns.com - The site where you get your muds wordled.