[sclug] Fedora Core 2-Modules loading problem + Unsuppoted Chipset

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon May 2 14:24:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Navneet Choudhary wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have recently installed  Fedora Core 2 on HCL Server with Super
> Micro X5DPL-8GM motherboard.
>
> System specs:
>
> Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz [HT]
> Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI adapter [Dual channel]
>
> 36.7 GB  [SEAGATE  Model: ST336607LW]
> 512MB RAM ECC [hynix]
>
> NIC:
> Intel Corp.|82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
> Intel Corp.|82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>
> I have prtially updated this install using up2date
> i.e kernel,kernel-utils,iptables,squid,rpm,wget,xinitrc etc.

Don't do that.

Best practice on RH and Fedora is to install /all/ updates before attempting
troubleshooting.

Running with some packages updated and some not may result in unpredictable
behaviour. Strictly speaking, if an updated package requires another
package to be updated also, the dependencies of the first package /should/
specify this. Mistakes can be made, though.

> When i start system with kernel-smp-2.6.5-1.358 or kernel-2.6.5-1.358
>

> Queries:-
> 1>I am getting following error during startup:
> ACPI: S3 and PAE do not like each other for now, S3 disabled.

<http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix02/tech/freenix/full_papers/watanabe/watanabe_html/node6.html>

ACPI state S3 is a sleep mode. Resuming from S3 back into S0 requires that
the CPU be re-initilized.

PAE is Intel's 'Physical Address Extensions', which allow OSs running on
i686 CPUs to address upto 64GB of physical memory.

I'd say it's unlikely that you'll be using /both/ on the same piece of
hardware (i.e. a server that hibernates, or a laptop with >4GB of memory!)

> agpart: Unsupported Intel Chipset (Device id:254c)
>
> Does this means Super Micro M/B is not supported by FC2?

No, it means that agpgart doesn't support your Chipset. This might only be a
problem if you were planning on using hardware 3D acceleration (and even
then, not if you're planning on using an nVidia card, as they provide their
own AGP subsystem independent of agpgart).

> 2>When i boot it with new kernel-2.6.10-1.771_FC2
>
> system shows "usbdevfs not supported by kernel"
>
> Does it means usbdevfs not support new kernel.

Well, from the (out of context) message you've provided, I'd say that's the
case.

Please quote warning/informational/error messages exactly in future.

Also, you'll very often find that googling for the error message you're
interested in - in quotes - finds you explanations of what it means. This
even applies to Windows and other closed operating systems.

> 3>i can't able to load modules (i.e ip_nat_ftp and ip_conntrack)
>
> When i tried to manually load module:-
>
> [root at matrix root]# /sbin/insmod ip_conntrack
> insmod: can't read 'ip_conntrack': No such file or directory

Don't use insmod. Use modprobe instead.

> [root at matrix root]#
>

> Slocate finds ip_conntrack and ip_nat_ftp modules
>
> [root at matrix root]# slocate ip_nat_ftp|more
> /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358smp/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.c

slocate uses a cached index of the files on the system. Its cache may be out
of date with what's /really/ present. Can you manually confirm that all
those modules actually exist? Also, what kernel version were you running
when you tried that command? (i.e. run 'uname -r' and reply with the exact
result).

> Trying to load all necesary iptables modules during bootup.
> Here is my /etc/rc.local file content
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
> # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
> # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
> /sbin/insmod ip_tables
> /sbin/insmod ip_queue
> /sbin/insmod iptable_filter
> /sbin/insmod iptable_mangle
> /sbin/insmod iptable_nat
> /sbin/insmod ipt_state
> /sbin/insmod ipt_owner
> /sbin/insmod ip_nat_ftp
> /sbin/insmod ip_conntrack
> /sbin/insmod ip_conntrack_ftp

Does FC2 not have /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config like FC3?

I skipped FC2, so I don't know whether it's there, but if it is, using this
is a far cleaner way of loading the netfilter helper modules.

> navneet

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?