[sclug] Web hosting

Alan Pearson alandpearson at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 11:59:48 UTC 2005

<snip>
>>> Postgres will make things difficult, since most hosts just
>>> support MySQL. Is it necessary?
>>
>> No comparison ;)
>
> That may be true, but if the site is unlikely to require high
> bandwidth,
> performance is unlikely to be an issue. And for most web sites, feature
> differences are unlikely to really figure, unless it's a seriously
> complicated db-driven web site they're putting together!

If I want a database I want a DATABASE.
mysql is NOT a real database. All the old arguments still hold true.
And the 'features' you speak of aren't 'bonus add ons' but a necessity
when working with anything when you value your data.

I invite you to read the bits regarding ACID in this link, which
although outdated is STILL relevant to mysql.

http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html

Anyway I didn't but in for a mysql vs pg war, but to help

Freedom2surf   offer postgres (& mysql) db hosting as part of their
?14.99 a month package.

---
AlanP