[sclug] Monitoring and Alerting

Mark Cooper sclug at mcooper.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 19:51:09 UTC 2005

Have you looked at JFFNMS? ( http://www.jffnms.org )

> A couple of people here have spent about 3 months trying to make HP
> Openview do something useful and have failed.  I've looked at Nagios
> but it looked very fiddly to set up.  Cheops looks like it will do
> everything I need but it is no longer developed therefore there are no
> patches to stop it crashing.  Cheops-ng does not seem to being
> developed anymore either, it has no alerting facilities and is

Nagios is a waste of time IMHO. Cheops/-ng were good idea's but never
came to anything. HP OpenView is the swiss army knife of NMS's but does
need a (team) of dedicated administrators ;)

> therefore useless for me.  NINO looks pretty good but I am still
> trying to make it do everything I want, the alerting won't work for me

Haven't come across NINO before ( http://nino.sourceforge.net ? ), so
I'm gonna take a look at that myself :)

--

Mark Cooper