[sclug] [OT] Journalling in DB's

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon May 16 17:38:03 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Excuse the noise, but the recent Frank Exchange of Views concerning
MySQL vs PostgresSQL suggests that there are database hackers in here,
so here's the question:

Can anyone recommend a good book or online resources about incorporating
ACID compliance into database engines? In particular, is journalling
always the way to go, does this word mean what I think it means, are
there any well-known pitfalls that I need to avoid, and / or well-known
techniques that I don't know about. (I do have reasons for not simply
using something which has already solved all of this, which aren't
important here.) I'm looking for the science rather than "this is how
you do it for product XYZ."

TIA

Will.