[sclug] [OT] Journalling in DB's

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed May 18 09:43:23 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 09:40, Roland Turner (SCLUG) wrote:
[...]
> > are  there any well-known pitfalls that I need to avoid, and /
>
> Re-inventing the wheel springs to mind. (Read: you almost certainly
> _don't_ want to implement ACID properties yourself.)

I'm reminded of a saying in the crypto community, which goes something like:
"Crypto is hard. If you try to design your own crypto system, it will suck."
I suspect ACID is the same.

I'd strongly recommend using a real database engine instead --- either a
server such as MySQL or Postgres, or a library such as SQLite (which does
ACID, is tiny, very fast, and very cool). You may even be able to get away
with a very lightweight solution like gdbm.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "I've just had a terrible thought --- what if all
+- www.cowlark.com --+ discussing _Blakes 7_