[sclug] Adore root kit

David Herring dave at netfm.org
Fri May 27 08:56:36 UTC 2005

Hello again,

Obviously a two question day....

We just had one of our devel servers 'hacked' from Russia.

It's running a 8.0 Suse, so probabley exploited some vunerability in OS.

I know the adore root kit has been installed, but the strange thing
isthat they have also changed root passwd. This is odd, since it tells
me the machine has changed - i.e I thought naively that the purpose of a
root kit would be to have 'silent' root access to the server to do
whatever whilst the owner is unaware ?

Anyhow, server will be re-installed. But prior to getting to docklands,
is there anyway I can gain back a root account ? I can login as a user
account - can see the adore root kit which has been installed, etc. If
anyone things they 'become' root on such a system, then please let me know.

Thanks dave

--

David Herring
---