[sclug] NV driver problem FIXED

Taiyo Rawle taiyo_rawle at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 31 18:00:45 UTC 2005

Thanks to all those who've helped!

The problem was fixed after another kernel
recompilation - the NVidia drivers now install
properly. The problem was that for some reason the
autoconf.h file in /usr/src/linux/include/linux
generated on the first compile was incorrect, hence
the version-magic errors I (eventually) found in
dmesg. This file is used to, amongst other things,
provide the kernel configuration information needed to
compile extra kernel modules.

Warning: DO NOT TRY TO SOLVE THIS BY EDITING
AUTOCONF.H - A module compiled in this way, upon
Alt+SysRq+B), and I lost a RAID0 array because of it.
It's better to go through another kernel build, and I
added the low-latency patch as well this time round -
makes the desktop feel like a twitch game ;?)

Cheers!