[sclug] Distro Copies

Martin Summers Martin.Summers at ansys.com
Tue Nov 1 08:25:09 UTC 2005

Hello,

I will echo what Alex Butcher says:

Centos for (free) Redhat Enterprise stability - but does not really have the bleeding edge stuff. If you need serious dedicated support, then you can go for the real Redhat Workstation, but it costs money...
Centos is good general purpose solid and stable IMHO.

If you want desktop, and lots of gizmos and bleeding edge, then SuSE 10 is nice. Can be a bit hefty installation wise and it can load the machine a bit. Lots of good stuff in there and excellent for desktop use. You'll discover packages and projects included in there that you never heard of before (at least, I did !)

If you want to learn about stuff - then Fedora is nice. So is debian and slackware. I think the debian install has got better, but I have not tried installing Sarge yet. I mention Slackware as I know it has influenced a lot of modern linux users to go back to basics ( I am not sure if that's a good thing or not !)

If you want nostalgia - I wonder if its still possible to get the old yggdrasil distribution. I have the 1993 version somewhere but nothing earlier than that.... it's not practical, but a bit of a laugh as it runs on a 386 DX with X and everything in 4MB RAM.

-Martin Summers